Paderne is a small village, just 7 Kms from it's parish town of Albufeira. Whilst it remains one of the small villages not on the tourist trail, Paderne is well worth the visit. It was once classified as one of the most typical villages in Portugal.
The Paderne Castle is one of the seven castles represented on the crimson border surrounding the white shield on the coat of arms of the Portuguese flag.
Built by the Arabs in the 12th century, it was taken by D. Paio Peres Correia in 1280. It is an excellent example of Muslim military architecture, being built in taipa (made of mud mixed with lime and stones), but was badly damaged by the 1755 earthquake.