The civil parish was created on 4 October 1985, under Decree-law 130/85, making it the youngest of the parishes of Silves.
In the 19th century, the locality was dominated by a few agricultural settlers who dedicated themselves to wine production. The first barrios began to appear after the railway opened in Gateiras. What was planned initially was a station would be constructed in Algoz, near the village of Tunes. But, owing to the slope of the hills, the construction of the station was differed to several kilometres to the east. The population was composed primarily of workers for the railway. On 21 February 1889, the first train passed through Tunes on the Lisbon-Faro line. It was on the same line, specifically the Tunes-Lagos link, that the last steam-powered train was used in the Algarve (in 1972).
The economic changes in the country over time transformed the civil parish from one of agricultural and industry to a more tourist-oriented speciality.